Developing Accessible Services
We will provide you with details of common accessibility issues and how to overcome them, and we will take you through usage of the most common assistive technologies and other tools to aid you in accessibility development.
Choose this course if you are interested in...
- Understanding the importance of and the need for accessibility
- Learning how disabled people use digital services
- Learning more about accessibility standards and guidelines such as the W3C guidelines for web content (WCAG 2.1 AA)
- Implementing WAI-ARIA in making complex/custom UI controls
- Mobile accessibility
What will you learn?
Our hands-on training will teach developers how to make digital services work for everyone, including users of assistive technology.
Day 1 – Understanding Web Accessibility and conformance evaluation
- What is accessibility and why is it important?
- The different disability user groups and their specific accessibility needs
- Using assistive technology
- The guidelines that help to create accessible web sites – WCAG 2.1 – and how to use them
- Accessibility best practices on topics such as: Semantic markup; Keyboard accessibility; Reading order and focus order; Timing and timeouts; Images and text alternatives; Navigation, identification, controls and dynamic content
Day 2 – How to code accessible content
- Implementing Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) and using ARIA states and properties to maximise accessibility
- Form accessibility
- Accessibility of tables
- Dynamic content
- Video and audio accessibility
Prerequisites and what to bring
Attendees will need a Windows PC with:
- Internet access
- Chrome with WAVE extension added
- Firefox with Web Developer Toolbar add-on
- Download of NVDA – http://www.nvaccess.org/ (new window)(this will open in a new window)
- Download of Colour contrast analyser – https://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrastanalyser/ (new window)(this will open in a new window)
User Vision can provide laptops if required, costs will be provided on request.
What to expect on the day?
Our training includes lots of examples of good practice in inclusive design. You will walk away with concrete takeaways as how to apply this to your own designs. Throughout the day, you will get the opportunity to work individually and within teams to solve design problems by applying what you have learned.
You will receive a print-out of all training materials and course activities. There is no exam in this course but all successful participants will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the day.
The following cancellation policy applies to all bookings made:
- 30 days or more before training – full refund or attend a future course date
- 15-29 days prior to training – 50% refund
- 7-14 days prior to training – 25% refund
- 6 days or less prior to training – no refund
You are most welcome to send a substitute for the originally booked delegate at any time by notifying us of their details. User Vision reserves the right to cancel all or parts of the course if an insufficient number of people register for the course.
About Edward Chandler
With over 14 years’ experience applying a user centred design ethos, Ed is passionate about creating great experiences. Before joining User Vision Ed worked at RNIB delivering accessibility across the board from Financial services, entertainment and travel.
At User Vision Ed has worked with a variety of clients in the financial, government and travel and tourism sector. One of his biggest successes has been to help an airline become accessible delivering a wide variety of accessibility consultancy from training through to management buy in and process change, whilst delivering a UX programme of regular testing with users.
Ed has an MSc in Human Factors from University of Nottingham, has sat on various international and industrial standards groups, delivered training to students on MSc courses and professionals in various organisations and has gained the CPUX-F qualification.
Ed heads up Client Services to help bring our clients more value from our services and focusing on embedding user centred design principles throughout organisations.
Specialisms and interests: accessibility and inclusion, user research methodologies, interaction design principles, user centred design and UX strategy
You will receive an online link to access the course in the coming days.