Accessibility for Designers
This event has passed.
This one day course will introduce accessibility design thinking and how to design usable and accessible experiences for everyone.
We will discuss removing barriers that inhibit access to digital services for people with disabilities, and we will cover how accessibility is achieved through content and design.
This is a practical course for designers, front-end developers and content authors. We will show you how to comply with WCAG 2.1 and what you need to consider when creating accessible digital experiences.
Choose this course if you are interested in…
- Understanding the importance of and need for accessibility
- Learning how disabled people use digital services
- Learning more about accessibility standards and guidelines such as the W3C guidelines for web content (WCAG 2.1 AA)
- Finding accessible solutions to interface design challenges
- Creating inclusive design patterns
- Communicating accessible design requirements to developers
- Learning how to test your designs for accessibility
What to expect on the day
Our training includes lots of examples of good practice in inclusive design. You will walk away with concrete takeaways as how to apply this to your own designs. Throughout the day, you will get the opportunity to work individually and within teams to solve design problems by applying what you have learned.
Our course will cover:
- Introduction to web accessibility with demonstrations of assistive technology
- Benefits of digital style guidelines and how to embed accessibility into them
- How to convey accessibility considerations in your designs to developers
- Accessibility guidelines on topics such as:
- Colour and colour contrast
- Page structure
- Font style and size
- Navigation and identification
- Visible focus
- Form controls
You will receive a print-out of all training materials and course activities. There is no exam in this course but all successful participants will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the day.
The following cancellation policy applies to all bookings made:
- 30 days or more before training – full refund or attend a future course date
- 15-29 days prior to training – 50% refund
- 7-14 days prior to training – 25% refund
- 6 days or less prior to training – no refund
You are most welcome to send a substitute for the originally booked delegate at any time by notifying us of their details. User Vision reserves the right to cancel all or parts of the course if an insufficient number of people register for the course.
About Edward Chandler
With over 14 years’ experience applying a user centred design ethos, Ed is passionate about creating great experiences. Before joining User Vision Ed worked at RNIB delivering accessibility across the board from Financial services, entertainment and travel.
At User Vision Ed has worked with a variety of clients in the financial, government and travel and tourism sector. One of his biggest successes has been to help an airline become accessible delivering a wide variety of accessibility consultancy from training through to management buy in and process change, whilst delivering a UX programme of regular testing with users.
Ed has an MSc in Human Factors from University of Nottingham, has sat on various international and industrial standards groups, delivered training to students on MSc courses and professionals in various organisations and has gained the CPUX-F qualification.
Ed heads up Client Services to help bring our clients more value from our services and focusing on embedding user centred design principles throughout organisations.
Specialisms and interests: accessibility and inclusion, user research methodologies, interaction design principles, user centred design and UX strategy
About Keith Allan
Keith is a skilled UX & Accessibility Consultant with experience in User Centred Design and a passion for creating inclusivity in technology through effective accessibility. Keith has experience working with web designers, developers and project managers on multiple accessibility projects with clients in the public sector, retail and financial services. Through his client engagements he regularly applies his skills in Accessibility Testing, Web Design, Accessibility mentoring and Usability testing with people with disabilities.
You will receive an online link to access the course in the coming days.